Monday, January 14, 2019

Bumblebee: Why Do I Love The Movie So F***ing Much?

Image result for charlie watson bumblebee



Hi, I just watched the movie this afternoon. Spoilers ahead!

Here's a summarized review: [pls read the rest ;( ]

Pros: Great casting (big props to Hailee) and music, nostalgic, G1 fans are gonna love it, family friendly (yes even the human-killing part), enjoyable 2 hours, tear-jerking, emotional

Cons: cliche story line (can't fault them 100%), cringy at times.

Overall, its a feel-good movie. Deep breath....phew

I’m trying to put my finger onto something about that movie that makes me go on and on in my head, like “its really good”. Like it actually took me half an hour to suddenly realize that hey, that 20 bucks was actually worth it. I actually enjoyed this movie. Thoroughly. But the thing that bugged me was...why?

I had no expectations for it really, other than a hope that it doesn’t disappoint me with a bad story line. Like I actually wanted to enjoy a movie rather than use my head and think in a Christopher Nolan movie or analyzing a deep scene. Ps: I studied film analysis for a bit and I couldn’t really enjoy a movie from then on. “Ooh what does that mean? Why is the goddamn sky blue?”

Here’s a bit of background to my history with the Transformers movies by Michael Bay.
The first three were great. With a ranking of best to worst is probably: 1-3-2 (The villain in 2 was so trash man please)

Related image
πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘seriously what a great villain Transformers 2πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

And let’s forget about the next two movies that came out that just absolutely destroyed the series that was already failing. Let’s just not put more oil to the fire.

The Bumblebee movie. Well fuck, it wasn’t amazing. Nor was it perfect. It didn’t ruin anything much for me. The movie was just...well..refreshing.

Even while typing out this review, I’m still stuck finding a word to describe how I felt or rather (feeling) of that movie. Just a quick overview...Sure, it’s a family movie, it has corny jokes and there were times when I just covered my face cringing whispering “please...don’t do what I think you’re gonna do”. And thankfully it didn’t. Props to you Travis Knight.

And yes, I’m talking about the “romance” scenes between Charlie and Memo. Great casting btw. I’m not done with you yet Hailee don’t worry :p

It’s funny at times, it’s really emotional at times, especially with Charlie and her dad and Bumblebee. Seriously if you ask me, I think this movie should be named Bumblebee & Charlie. Or hell, Charlie & Bumblebee. Honestly, I actually liked, even enjoyed the human characters in a Transformers movie!

what the poster should be like


Pros: Heart-warming, feel-good, great casting,  action-partially-packed, definitely-not-a-blockbuster

Cons: cliche story (but to be expected), cringy at times, really bad bully characters

My probably biggest flaw with this movie is actually the bullies in this movie. It’s so cliche. Three “pretty” and “glamorous” and overly mean girls just walking up to the main character (Charlie) with just sneers and taunts. It’s just...why not give the characters some character. Instead of just having 2D villains like some action-packed movies (looking at you MCU).

OR maybe it’s a thing with ‘80s movies with that kind of cliche but for me the script writers should have just subverted that genre just like how they made the protagonist a female character! And it worked!

Huh, while I was typing this I actually realised the 2nd flaw. Memo. Is. Useless. Like why do you need Memo. Now now now, he’s a cool, corny character but I think most of the cringiest moments or maybe just all of them came from Memo!! I’m actually glad though, a good point for Memo...he and Charlie don’t end up making out on the car or somewhere (like one movie COUGH COUGH SHIA COUGH)

Fun fact, despite me being born in 2000 I actually watched Transformers G1. So, for those G1 fans like me who watched the cartoons back at home for half an hour every episode, you're in for a treat for the first 10 minutes. BECAUSE THEY NAILED IT.

OH. Soundwave and Shockwave were absolutely perfectly voice-casted. The chills ran through me when I heard the familiar robotic "Decepticons, attack" and the generic transforming audio.

“Transformers~, more than meets the eye~“. Ooh the NoStaLGIA. 

One disappointment though, they didn’t show the big baddie.

MEGATRON. Like WHAT. WHY.

Ironhide was there in red and black, Arcee, Wheeljack, Ratchet in the classic red and white, Starscream, The trio fighter jet Decepticons whose names I keep forgetting. It was amazing, just seeing your old characters on the big screen. Optimus, Optimus of course. 


Related image
Optimus looks so good~

Related image
"Ravage, eject"


Related image
"Decepticons, attack"

Now, onto the next big reason why I love this movie, Hailee Steinfield as Charlie Watson was just a splendid performance. 




The talent of her acting in this movie actually brought tears to my grown man's eyes (not saying guys can't cry it's just I hardly cry). Hailee was just so expressive and so immersed in her role as Charlie as a human character and it's just simply amazing. At the end of the movie, I just wanted to give Charlie a hug. Her emotions and the pain in her voice was so compelling and genuine it was tear-jerking. I could go on  Partly due to the fact that she's somewhat relatable to most of us teenagers. She was perfect for this role. And I totally ship Bumblebee and Charlie not with Sam.

Image result for bumblebee movie and charlie

Yes. F*** Sam.

The fight scenes were acceptable, enjoyable at some points, especially the final battle with Bumblebee finally taking on Dropkick and Shatter. Great Easter eggs. That semi-truck at the end was too hard to not miss. Also, to my surprise, John Cena actually brought a fresh perspective of soldiers in Transformers movies. Thankfully, Cena kept the cool, corny attitude without being exaggerated throughout the movie which I enjoyed. Especially with that salute to Bumblebee brought a chuckle to my lips.

So, a point taken off for Memo and the cliche girls and the cliche plot. A point taken off for no big baddie. Like, even one shot would have made my day. Come on, give us that deleted scene please.

An added bonus mark for the nostalgic G1 comeback style with the Transformers.
All in all, a 8.5/10. 4/5. Splendid, fresh and emotional reboot.


And here's a happy photo~
Image result for bumblebee

Also, RIP Cliffjumper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Game of Thrones Season 8 Teaser: The Starks' Final Stand?

The teaser trailer of the penultimate season finally dropped and so are our jaws. But first , Starring the Stark children (apart from Bra...